Monday, June 22, 2009

Fw: RE: Sharia

Not sure if the attachments will go through though, or not.  Never know.  We'll see.

--- On Mon, 6/22/09, LorriAnne Rae Kump <lorrianne_rae_kump@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: LorriAnne Rae Kump <lorrianne_rae_kump@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Sharia
To: "CindyKump" <ckump@sf.edu>
Date: Monday, June 22, 2009, 12:35 PM

Dear Cindy,

This is on not just Kuwait, but also Jordan and Saudi Arabia.  I think you were just looking at Kuwait at the time you wrote the email below, but the paper is supposed to be about:

From: James Lutz <lutz@ipfw.edu>
Subject: Re: Paper topic
To: lorrianne_rae_kump@yahoo.com
Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 4:47 PM

The general topic sounds good, and I think that Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Jordan
would provide a good basis for comparison.

JML

>>> LorriAnne
Rae Kump <lorrianne_rae_kump@yahoo.com> 11/15/08
3:18 PM >>>
Dear Dr. Lutz,
I would like to do a paper regarding sharia law, women voting, and democracy,
and how they interact, and affect their corresponding society as a whole. I do
not know which country (or countries) I should focus on, though, and I don't
know if a comparison paper regarding these attributes would work for Kuwait,
Jordan, and/or Saudi Arabia. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thank you,
LorriAnne

Gah, I dunno why I put all three in therein the original email, but I think it'll be more thorough with three than what it would've been with only two. 

I sent you the syllabus and his paper guidelines with this email.  Any possibility that you can save them for me in a word perfect format?  I can't do anything with these in this format.  Please please please.  I have some errands to do in about an hour, but I'll be back late this afternoon or early evening.

Thanks so much,
Love,
Lorri

--- On Mon, 6/22/09, Kump, Cindy <ckump@sf.edu> wrote:

From: Kump, Cindy <ckump@sf.edu>
Subject: RE: Sharia
To: "'LorriAnne Rae Kump'" <lorrianne_rae_kump@yahoo.com>
Date: Monday, June 22, 2009, 10:28 AM

I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote what you refer to in your PS. It makes no sense! Here's what I should have said.  J

 

The parenthesis indicates similar terms. If you type in

 

 

 

. . . you are telling the database to retrieve articles with the terms sharia and women OR articles with the term gender.  You want to set up the search this way:

 

 

This is telling the database you want articles with the term sharia and EITHER women OR gender.

 

Does that make sense?

 

I just did a quick search on CNN.com on Sharia and Kuwait and the most recent stuff was from 2006. Can you tell me more about what you heard recently?

 

I'll poke around a bit and see what I can find. You will probably need to use the public library though. Even if you can't check out books you can use them in the library. Bring change with the copier!

 

Cindy

Cindy Kump, M.L.S.
Public Services/Reference Librarian

From: LorriAnne Rae Kump [mailto:lorrianne_rae_kump@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:12 AM
To: Kump, Cindy
Subject: Re: Sharia

 

Dear Cindy,
I still need help on this.  I took an incomplete, remember?  I have until the middle of August, that way it doesn't effect his current classes any more than necessary.  Do you think you can help me find some information, including news sources, because if I remember right, some of this was changing over the past few months.  Let me know.

Thanks!

Love,
Lorri

PS:  You wrote "either women or gender. If you don't use the parenthesis you will get articles with sharia, women, or, and gender."  Which did you mean, 'or' or 'and' in the last four words?  I can suck at academic searching, but seem to come up with really good results through Google.  Go figure.

--- On Thu, 11/13/08, Kump, Cindy <ckump@sf.edu> wrote:


From: Kump, Cindy <ckump@sf.edu>
Subject: Sharia
To: "'LorriAnne'" <lorrianne@gmail.com>, "'LorriAnne Rae Kump'" <lorrianne_rae_kump@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, November 13, 2008, 11:42 AM

Lorri,

 

Not finding a lot on Kuwait and Sharia. I tried looking in Academic Search Premier just for sharia and got a lot of hits. There were a few articles about trying to reconcile sharia with gender issues, women's rights, etc., so I searched on sharia and (women or gender). I still got 82 hits. There are also some books at ACPL on sharia-those might be helpful. I haven't looked at IPFW's library.

 

The parenthesis are important when you search. That indicates that you are looking for articles with sharia and either women or gender. If you don't use the parenthesis you will get articles with sharia, women, or, and gender.

 

I think the gender issues and sharia would be interesting. It's a current topic too.

 

That's all I've got for now but maybe I'll think of more when you send me the syllabus, etc.

 

Gotta go, talk to you later.

Cindy

Cindy Kump, M.L.S.
Public Services/Reference Librarian
University of Saint Francis
260-399-7700 ext. 6056
ckump@sf.edu

"Getting information off the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." -Mitchell Kapor

 

 

 

 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home