Monday, August 16, 2010

The New Frog (Watch out, it's poisonous!!!!)

Lots of research now. We found him Sunday afternoon, in the bike helmet. He's cute and green. I hurriedly made a makeshift enclosure, with a big heavy duty white plastic bag (Thanks to the Y shelter) and a sturdy box, along with the screen for the aquarium that I never thought I'd use. I've found that he should eat 2 or three crickets a day, we've been feeding him moths, and that if those are too big, which I doubt, he can eat the bugs off of flowers we pick and put in the cage. I actually looked up on Wikipedia if he was poisonous, and there was the ominous word, "Yes." No, I'm NOT joking. But, he's not touching it and neither am I, not because of that entry in Wikipedia (which I doubt is accurate, I checked for other contributions by that person, and there were none) but because I have read too many health warnings about salmonella. Amphibians and reptiles are breeding grounds for salmonella. MrBaby is just into sticking his fingers in his mouth (yes, we're working on it), and that without the froggie germs grosses me out enough.

Besides, now, we have to go out and get crickets, and other bugs. I'm actually sitting a cup with hamburger out on the deck. So far, no maggots. Most likely because the fly mommies don't need to aggravate me by laying eggs in something I don't want to eat later. Murphy's Law.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home